1) What is the name of the database that stores subscriber information under an MSC and his eligible services?
HLR also stores the location of a customer.
2) What is the name of a database used mainly that stores information of a subscriber along with eligible services under roaming or another MSC area?
3) Covering area of an MSC is also called ____ ?
4) Usually, VLR contains a copy of data of ______ ?
5) Between VLR and HLR, which one is used mostly allow or bar services to the user?
6) State true or false.
The area under one MSC or HLR is also the area under one VLR.
7) Usually, VLR is part of _____ ?
8) As VLR is fast to access, VLR avoids frequent accessing of ________ ?
9) In a GSM architecture, which system provides Authentication and Encryption services?
AUC - Authentication Center
10) In a GSM architecture, which system stores the IMEI numbers of all working mobile phones under the network?
EIR - Equipment Identity Register
11) What are the types of lists maintained by EIR (Equipment Identification Register)?
12) Choose a correct statement about EIR list of IMEIs.
A) Whitelist - List of allowed IMEIs or Mobile Devices
B) Grey List - List of IMEIs with limited allowed services
C) Blacklist - List of forbidden IMEIs or mobiles
13) Mobile calls to or from Fixed Networks (Landlines) are handled by ________ ?
14) Each cell in a GSM network has ?
A) Cell number
C) Cell Global Identity number
15) A group of cells in a GSM network has a _________ number.
A) Location number
C) Location Area Identity number
16) A single MSC or VLR can have many ______ ?
C) CGI - Cell Global Index
17) Total area served by one network operator is called ______ ?
PLMN - Public Land Mobile Network
18) What is DTX or Discontinuous Transmission in a GSM network?
A) DTC stops transmitter when the person is not talking. So less number of voice signals reach BTS with less noise.
B) With the help of VAD (Voice Activity Detection), mobile identifies conversation and noise to turn off transmission.
C) On the opposite end, the receiver produces a noise called Comfort Noise. With out this, DTX makes the opposite person think that the line or call is cut.
19) Which technique of GSM Architecture tells the mobile to advance it's transmission bursts (data) so that overlap with other bursts may be avoided at channel?
20) Timing Advance (TA) deals with?
A) The distance between the BTS and Mobile
B) Time delay of bursts from mobile
C) Time advance of bursts from mobile