1) A Data Link Layer converts a packet of data into __ finally.
Yes. The data link layer takes packets from Network Layer and converts to Bits before handing over to the Physical layer.
2) The two sub-layers of a Data Link layer are ___.
A) LLC - Logical Link Control Layer
B) MAC - Medium Access Control Layer
LLC (Logical Link Control) layer and MAC (Medium Access Control) layer
3) Which is the sub-layer that accepts frames from the upper layer that is Network Layer?
A) LLC (Logical Link Control Layer)
B) MAC (Medium Access Control) layer
The LLC layer receives frames the Network layer. It is topology independent.
4) The functions of a Logical Link Layer (LLC) are ___.
A) Error control
C) Creating and managing the communication link between two devices with the help of the Transport layer.
5) The types of data services offered by an LLC (Logical Link Control) layer are ___.
A) Connectionless which is fast and unreliable
B) Connection-Oriented which is slow and reliable
C) Both OptionA and optionB.
6) Which is the layer that is responsible for sharing the physical media (transmission medium) among many computers or devices?
A) LLC (Logical Link Control) layer
B) MAC (Medium Access Control) layer
Medium Access Control (MAC) layer which is a sub-layer of the LLC (Logical Link Control) layer actually shares the physical transmission medium among many devices.
7) Every Computer or an Internet device has a unique MAC address. State TRUE/FALSE.
The manufacturers of internet accessing devices hard code unique MAC addresses into each device.
8) The types of Medium Access Control are ___.
A) Centrally Access Control
B) Distributed Access Control
C) Both option-A and option-B
9) The modes of a MAC to share a transmission medium are ___.
A) Round Robin
Round Robin, Reservation and Contention are the three modes of sharing the access medium used by MAC protocol.
10) In Round-robin mode of MAC, each station gets ___ priority whether access to the medium is needed or not.
Each station will get an equal opportunity to use the shared medium like the cable connecting two or more stations.
11) In Reservation mode of MAC, each station in the network ___ a time slot for a finite or infinite amount of time to access the shared medium.
A) should reserve
Whichever station reserves a time-slot first, it will get full access to the medium. The remaining stations simply wait and poll continuously for next time reservation token.
12) In a contention mode of MAC implementation, each station in the network ___ data at the same time whether a collision occurs or not.
A) can transmit
13) In a Contention mode of MAC implementation, different stations can have different priorities set by the admin. State TRUE/FALSE.
All stations in the equal priority group compete again to transmit data simultaneously without thinking about collisions or bottlenecks or congestions.
14) The contention mode of MAC implementation is best suited for __ traffic.
Low traffic LAN networks can use this Contention mode.
15) A Token Ring implementation works on the __ mode.
Any station that possesses the token has access to the medium to transfer data. Once the data transfer is completed, the token is free to be acquired by any other station.
16) The physical address to each machine is provided by which layer in an OSI reference model?
A) Physical layer
The sub-layer of Data Link Control Layer, MAC (Medium Access Control) layer, provides the physical address like MAC address.
17) Choose the Protocols working in the Data Link Control Layer of OSI model below.
A) ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode), Frame Relay
B) HDLC (High-Level Data Link Control), SDLC (Synchronous Data Link Control)
C) ARP (Address Resolution Protocol), IEEE-802.3
18) Choose the Protocols used in the Data Link Control layer of OSI model below?
A) SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol), CSLIP(Compressed SLIP), PLIP (Parallel Line Internet Protocol)
B) PPP (Point to Point Protocol)
All the above
19) Which is the protocol that maps varying IP addresses to the Physical MAC Address of a machine in a LAN network?
A) ARQ (Automatic Repeat Request)
B) ARP (Address Resolution Protocol)
C) SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol)
D) PLIP (Parallel Line Internet Protocol)
ARP protocol operates in between Network Layer and Data Link Layer and it tries to locate the physical machine in the network.
20) Which protocols adopted the standards of HDLC (High-Level Link Control) protocol?
A) X.25 protocol as LAPB (Link Access Procedure Balanced), V.42 protocol as LAPM (Link Access Procedure for Modems)
B) Frame Relay protocol as LAPF (Link Access Procedure for Frame Relay)
C) ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) protocol as LAPD (Link Access Procedure on D-channel)
21) The Dial-up connections to access the internet uses ___ protocol.
A) PPP (Point to Point protocol)
22) Home broadband connections that work on DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) use ___ protocol.
A) PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
Also, the protocols, MAC Encapsulation Routing (MER) and IP over ATM (IPoA) are used in DSL modems. DSL can be ADSL(Asymmetric DSL) or SDSL(Symmetric DSL).