1) A LAN (Local Area Network) can cover a distance of ___ KM.
Even less than 2 km.
2) Mutiple LANs can be connected to form a single MAN (Metropolitan Area Network). State TRUE/FALSE.
3) Cost of owning a LAN network over a WAN or MAN is __.
4) To form a WAN or MAN network, public networks can be used in between. State TRUE or FALSE.
5) The types of transmission channel or media used for LAN or WAN are __.
A) Twisted Pair Cables
C) Fiber-Optic Cables and Radio Waves
6) Which cable between Twisted-Pair-Cable (TPC) and Coaxial-Cable (CC) work for transmitting data to more distances?
A) Twisted Pair Cable
7) Cable TV network cables laid till your are house are __ cables.
A) Twisted Pair cables
These cables carry more data for longer distances
8) Which trasmission media is easy to install inside a city to create a network quickly?
A) Cable media (TPC or CC)
C) Radio Frequency devices
All telecom operators use RF devices in places where laying of copper cables or Optical Fiber cables are difficult due to permissions from local authorities.
9) A simple WIFI modem forms a __ wireless network.
WLAN refers to Wireless LAN.
10) Which is the transmission media that can carry huge data to large distances with less delay or latency?
A) Wireless or RF or Microwave Frequency
It transmits data in the form of light. So, if the end to end system is replaced with an advanced technology one, the whole system bandwidth can be increased instantly.
11) Which type of network supports transmitting voice, video and data?
LAN, MAN and WAN networks are classified only the distance basis but not on the type of data those carry.
12) WAN or MAN may also contain __ in between to complete the network.
A) Leased lines
C) SMDS (Switched Multi-megabit Data Services) offered by telecom companies on point to point basis.
13) If a WAN is wholly owned by a single company including all intermediate links, it is called a __ network.
A) Duplex network
14) The largest WAN existing on this earth is ___.
SONET and ARPANET are technologies used to deploy a WAN.
15) The technologies used in a WAN network are __.
16) The main hardware used to access a LAN resource is __.
B) NIU (Network Interface Unit) or NIC (Network Interface Card)
NIC card contains ports to connect RJ45 LAN cables, Coaxial cables and Optical cables.
17) The three main services used in a LAN are __.
A) File Server
C) Modem Server (Sharing Internet)
18) Choose a LAN operating system from the below list.
A) Ethernet, LAN Server
B) Novel Netware, Curves, ArcNet
C) Omni Net, PC Net, IBM PC LAN, Etherlink Plus
LAN OS is loaded onto both server and workstation. It is just a software provided on CD when you purchase a NIC Card or simply LAN card. Most of the motherboards are shipped with an inbuild LAN card.
19) A Hub and Switch are __ devices.
20) Choose a WAN device from the below list.
All these devices are efficient in routing packets to a path between two devices or computers.
21) A network Hub is a device that transmits or copies the same packet too __ ports except the receiving port at that instance.
22) A network hub works at __ layer of OSI reference model.
A) layer 1
Yes. A Hub works at Physical layer or Layer 1.
23) A network Switch works more or like a Hub except that it ___ packets to destination device and filters forwarding to remaining ports or devices.
24) A network switch usaully uses __ to determine the destination device before forwarding a packet.
A) Serial Number
25) A network switch works at __ layer of a OSI reference model.
A) Layer 1
A switch works at Layer 2 or Data-Link-Layer. Some advanced switches work at Layer 3 or Network layer too.
26) A network Gateway device converts one protocol to another protocol to connect two __ LAN networks or simply networks.
27) A network Bridge device connects two or more networks to form a ___ LAN network.
A Bridge device maintains a table of frames with destination addresses. Data frames can even be stored (buffering) and forwared during busy times.
28) A network bridge device works at __ layer of OSI reference model.
A) Layer 1
A bridge device works at Layer 2 or Data-Link-Layer to transport data frames.
29) A network Router device connects two or more ___ networks.
C) Both LAN and WAN networks
A router uses IP (Internet Protocol) packets to transport data. The packet may be routed to a nearby device or a far way device using any number of intermediate nodes working on different networks. IP address is the deciding factor.
30) A network Router works at a __ layer of an OSI reference model.
A) Layer 1
A network router works at Layer 3 or Network Layer of OSI reference model.